Leave of Absence

You may apply to the Registry Officer (Student Support) for a Leave of Absence in any semester where exceptional circumstances have affected, are currently affecting, or will affect your ability to engage with your studies.

See the University’s Policy on Leave of Absence.

Withdrawal from Studies

If you are considering withdrawing from your studies at the University you should discuss the matter with your Adviser of Studies in the first instance or your Supervisor if you are a Research Postgraduate student. You should arrange to do this as early as possible as there are often alternative options open to you that would not require the final step of permanent withdrawal from the University. If you do decide you wish to withdraw from your studies you must contact the appropriate Pro Dean who will be able to offer guidance on your options and who will ensure that the process is completed correctly. You should be aware that there are fee implications, as well as implications to your leave to remain in the UK if you are an overseas student, when you withdraw from your studies part of the way through an academic year. You should therefore ensure you contact the Money Adviser and the International Adviser in Student Services to obtain early advice on the final implications of your decision before you complete your withdrawal.

Termination of Studies

This section only applies to undergraduate students.

If your academic performance is unsatisfactory, i.e. you have gained insufficient credits to progress to the next stage of your degree programme, your studies may be terminated. You will then be notified by the Dean or the Pro Dean (Advising) that your studies are terminated and you will normally have no more than five working days to request a review of this decision using the appropriate form. This should be supported by documentary evidence specifying the reasons for your unsatisfactory performance. If you do not submit a request for review of the decision you will have your studies automatically terminated. This decision is taken by the Dean in accordance with Senate Regulations.  Your full student record is taken into account in any review, including any instances of non-academic misconduct.

If your request for review is successful, the Dean will contact you with conditions for your return to studies. If you do not meet these conditions (e.g. you do not pass the specified amount of credits within the time period given by the Dean) your studies may be terminated again.

If your request for review is unsuccessful, you may have a further right of appeal to the Senate of the University. Appeals to Senate are admissible only on limited grounds and the process cannot be used to challenge matters of academic judgment. To make a Senate submission, you must complete and submit to the Senate Office a Stage 2 appeal form within 10 working days of the date stated on your termination letter. Late submissions may not be considered further by the University. For further information, see the University’s Policy on Student Academic Appeals.

International students here at St Andrews on a Tier 4 visa should be aware that any terminations will be reported to the UKVI and their visa curtailed.

Back to top

Last Published: 02 Jul 2018.