CS1003: Programming with Data
This module is offered in 2017-18.
The aims of this module are:
- To consolidate Java programming skills.
- To develop an awareness of the importance of data storage and processing in software systems.
On successful completion of this module, the student should:
- Understand the central role of data in software systems.
- Understand the advantages and disadvantages of file and database storage.
- Be able to write programs to store and manipulate data in files and relational databases.
- Be aware of the main issues in ‘big data’ processing.
- Persistent data formats.
- Files and databases.
- File manipulation.
- Binary and textual data.
- Data processing using open source libraries.
- Database design and use.
- Object-relational mapping frameworks.
- Processing and analysing data.
- Handling data on mobile devices.
- Issues of scale.
This module has no compulsory elements beyond those common to all sub-Honours modules (tutorials, exercise classes, mark of 4 in each assessment component).