CS1007: Computer Systems Fundamentals
This module is offered in 2021-22.
The aims of this module are:
- To provide a high-level introduction to Computer Systems concepts
- To expose students to concepts that are necessary to understand and engage practically with remote access to Unix systems
On successful completion of this module, the student should:
- Understand and be able to apply concepts relating to operating systems and remote access to computer systems
- Be able to use Unix like environments from the command line
- Be able to use Unix editors to change files
- Be able to write shell scripts
- Understand how to use Version Control Software (GIT)
- Be able to interact with remote Unix systems
Operating Systems fundamentals, the shell, networking, authentication, remote access, the filesystem, file access and manipulation, scripting, variables and control constructs, debugging, processes, process management, version control, toolsets, virtualisation, installation and system management.
This module has no compulsory elements beyond those common to all sub-Honours modules (tutorials, mark of 4 in each assessment component).