CS3104: Operating Systems
This module is offered in 2021-22.
The aims of this module are:
- To examine in depth the changing role of the operating system.
- To study the concept and implementation of a process.
- To study the OS/hardware interface with regard to storage and protection.
- To study the techniques developed to achieve safety and throughput in a multitasking system.
On successful completion of this module, the student should:
- Be aware of the role of the OS.
- Have solved a problem by programming at the OS interface level and have programmed an internal OS function.
- Structured computer organisation
- Process definition and implementation
- Process scheduling
- Storage management
- Protection mechanisms
- File systems and secondary storage
This module has no compulsory elements beyond those common to all modules (mark of 4 in each assessment component).