CS3301: Component Technology
This module is offered in 2020-21.
On successful completion of this module, the student should:
- Understand the concepts of business objects and components.
- Understand the principles of and differences between object-oriented and message-oriented middleware.
- Know how to use components to build distributed applications within a framework such as CORBA or DCOM.
- Have competence in applying component technologies to business application development.
- Principles of large-scale design.
- Communications paradigms:
- Remote procedures.
- Messages and events.
- XML-RPC: the simplest middleware.
- Message-oriented middleware:
- Scalability and architecture.
- Intelligent routing.
- CORBA: a realistic middleware.
- Services: naming, trading, events.
- Service-oriented architecture.
- SOAP: current-generation middleware.
- Advanced techniques: architectures, dynamism and orchestration.
This module has no compulsory elements beyond those common to all modules (mark of 4 in each assessment component).