CS5012: Language and Computation
This module is offered in 2021-22.
The aims of this module are:
- To explain various techniques used to automatically process language, pertaining to perception and understanding as well as to generation of language.
On successful completion of this module, the student should:
- Have an understanding of modern approaches to automatic natural language processing (NLP).
- Have an understanding of statistical and symbolic approaches to model human language processing.
- Be able to build (parts of) small NLP applications.
- Components of language, such as morphology, syntax and semantics.
- Computational models of components of language, such as N-grams, formal grammars and logical expressions.
- General techniques, such as machine learning, dynamic programming and search.
- Applications of NLP.
This module has no compulsory elements beyond those common to all modules (mark of 4 in each assessment component).