CS5014: Machine Learning
This module is offered in 2021-22.
The aims of this module are: - to provide a foundation in the theory behind machine learning - to enable students to apply machine learning in practice to solve real-world problems
On successful completion of this module, the student should:
- be able to demonstrate the main concepts in machine learning
- demonstrate knowledge of important algorithms in the field and when to use them
- be able to apply machine learning to solve practical problems
- Essential concepts
- Linear methods for regression and classification
- Nonlinear methods for regression and classification
- Machine learning methodology
- Neural networks
- Support Vector Machines
- Unsupervised learning methods
- Practical examples on real data
This module has no compulsory elements beyond those common to all modules (mark of 4 in each assessment component).